Expertise. Vision. Curiosity. Involvement. Enthusiasm.
In forming the Grand Challenges for Engineering committee, the NAE sought leading thinkers with a wide range of expertise and experience. This project brings together a diverse group of people dedicated to improving quality of life around the globe.
- William Perry, Committee Chair, (Former Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense) Michael and Barbara Berberian Professor and Professor of Engineering, Stanford University
- Alec Broers, Chairman, Science and Technology Select Committee, United Kingdom House of Lords
- Farouk El-Baz, Research Professor and Director, Center for Remote Sensing, Boston University
- Wesley Harris, Department Head and Charles Stark Draper Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Bernadine Healy, Health Editor and Columnist, U.S. News & World Report
- W. Daniel Hillis, Chairman and Co-Founder, Applied Minds, Inc.
- Calestous Juma, Professor of the Practice of International Development, Harvard University
- Dean Kamen, Founder and President, DEKA Research and Development Corp.
- Raymond Kurzweil, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Kurzweil Technologies, Inc.
- Robert Langer, Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Jaime Lerner, Architect and Urban Planner, Instituto Jaime Lerner
- Bindu Lohani, Director General and Chief Compliance Officer, Asian Development Bank
- Jane Lubchenco, Wayne and Gladys Valley Professor of Marine Biology and Distinguished Professor of Zoology, Oregon State University
- Mario Molína, Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California
- Larry Page, Co-Founder and CEO, Google, Inc.
- Robert Socolow, Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University Environmental Institute
- J. Craig Venter, President, The J. Craig Venter Institute
- Jackie Ying, Executive Director, Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
The committee's task was to identify the grand challenges for engineering --- problems and opportunities --- facing those born at the dawn of this new century. The Challenges were announced in early 2008.
This project is sponsored by a grant from the U.S. National Science Foundation, Award # ENG-063206.
For more information, please contact Randy Atkins, Project Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.